Support Payments You Receive
We pay your support payments on the 1st and 16th of each month. The payments will generally be for the same amount, unless an event occurs that results in a change to the amount (e.g. partial payment of arrears, failure to pay by the payer of support, reimbursement of a payment advance).
The payments are made by cheque or can be deposited directly into your account at a financial institution. To set up direct deposit, you can:
Inform us quickly if your address or banking information has changed. This will ensure you get your support payments and all support-related information on time.
If you receive your support payments by cheque, keep the address in your file up to date.
If you opted for direct deposit for your support payments, inform us as soon as possible of any change to your banking information so we can make the necessary adjustments.
You may receive your support payments later than you should as the result of a longer than expected processing time. When this happens, we may advance an amount of support to you, although we are not required to do so.
Situations in which we cannot pay advances
We cannot pay you advances in the following situations:
- The payer of support cannot be located or has no income.
- The payer of support did not make the required payments and we have sent them a demand for payment.
- The security provided by the payer of support has been used to pay you support.
- You or the payer of support does not live in Québec.
- You owe us an amount under the Act to facilitate the payment of support.
- Your support is remitted to the Ministère de l'Emploi et de la Solidarité sociale because you receive last-resort financial assistance (social assistance) payments.
We can only advance actual support payments. We cannot advance payments of arrears.
If we do not receive the support payment from the payer of support, we cannot pay you. If this happens, we will take the necessary steps to recover the amount owing. However, if you have information that could help us take care of the situation (e.g. the name and address of the payer's employer or a list of the payer's seizable property), let us know through My Account or write to us by secure email.