What is the Support-Payment Collection Program?
The support-payment collection program ensures that the amounts determined by a support judgment are collected and paid.
Support is an amount paid periodically to cover a child's or an ex-spouse's basic needs, such as:
Scope of the support-payment collection program
The support-payment collection program is universal. It applies to all judgments ordinarily handed down in Québec that grant support to a child or an ex-spouse.
- collect support payments from the person required to pay support (the payer of support);
- provide the support payments to the person who is entitled to them (the support recipient);
- index the support amount annually (unless the judgment specifies otherwise).
We do not:
- determine the amount of support;
- modify the amount of support;
- cancel support;
- change the terms of a judgment.
See the following pages for more information on how support is determined, modified, cancelled or suspended:
- Child support (Ministère de la Justice du Québec website)
- When a couple separates (Government of Québec website)