If you have an account at a financial institution with an establishment in Canada, we can deposit the following into it:
- income tax refunds
- payments under social programs, such as the shelter allowance
- benefits and other tax-related payments
The fastest and easiest way to register for direct deposit is to use My Account for individuals. If you need help, see guide IN-548.IM-V, Registering for Direct Deposit or Changing Banking Information, for step-by-step instructions.
How to register for direct deposit or change your direct deposit information
You can register for direct deposit or change your account information in any of the following ways:
- Use My Account for individuals.
- Register online through your financial institution (if your financial institution offers this service).
- Enclose a void cheque with your name and social insurance number on it with your income tax return.
- Complete a Request for Direct Deposit (form LM-3-V).
If you are filing your income tax return online, you must provide the following information:
- the branch number of your financial institution
- the financial institution number
- your account number
You can also view your direct deposit information in My Account for individuals.
The benefits of direct deposit
Direct deposit makes sense because it eliminates the risk of cheques being lost or stolen and guarantees that you will receive the following, even if there is a postal strike or if you are sick or away from home:
- your income tax refund
- your payments of the solidarity tax credit
- your advance payments of the tax credit for childcare expenses
- your advance payments of the tax credits respecting the work premium (the work premium, the adapted work premium and the supplement to the work premium [for former recipients of last-resort financial assistance or financial assistance under the Aim for Emplyment Program])
- your advance payments of the tax credit for home-support services for seniors
- your advance payments of the tax credit for caregivers
- your advance payment of the tax credit for the treatment of infertility
- any other tax-related payments
To register for direct deposit to manage your support payments, select Register in the Support payments menu in My Account for individuals.
For information on how to register for direct deposit quickly and easily in My Account, see Registering for Direct Deposit or Changing Banking Information (IN-548.IM-V).