Shelter Allowance Program
The shelter allowance program provides up to $100 per month in financial assistance for low-income individuals and families who spend too much of their budget on rent or mortgage payments.
You can benefit from the program if you are a tenant, a rooming-house occupant or a homeowner. Refer to the eligibility requirements.
Follow these steps to receive the allowance:
- Call one of the following numbers to request a Shelter Allowance Application (it is not available on our website):
- Montréal area: 514 940-1481
- Québec City area: 418 266-1016
- Elsewhere in Québec: 1 855 291-6467, select option 2
You can call our client services Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Complete the application. Read the checklist to make sure that your application is complete.
- Send us the application with the requested documents in the reply envelope.
Once we have received your fully completed application, we will pay the allowance once a month, by cheque or direct deposit.
You must complete an application every year to continue receiving the allowance.
Only one person per couple can apply. The amount you are entitled to will be the same regardless of who files the application.
You can see the status of your shelter allowance application, the date and amount of your last payment or the notices of determination sent to you. To do so, use the online service in My Account for individuals to view a shelter allowance file.