RQConf_PartnerLoginUrl RQConf_CheckUrl

The Charter of the French language and its regulations govern the consultation of English-language content.

Recourse for Support Payments

You have a number of options if you disagree with a decision in your support file or are dissatisfied with the service you received.

Filing a notice of contestation

You can only file a notice of contestation with regard to:

  • a demand for payment;
  • a notice informing you that we will modify the means by which support payments are collected.

Follow the four steps below to file a notice of contestation:

  1. Pay the amount due within ten days of receiving a demand for payment (unless a judge rules otherwise), even if you are going to contest the demand for payment. 
  2. Complete form PPA-120-V, Notice of Contestation (Act to facilitate the payment of support).
  3. Include all documents supporting your contestation.
  4. Send form PPA-120-V by registered mail to the address given in the form within 20 days of receiving the decision you are contesting.

We recommend you speak to a legal advisor for more information on preparing a notice of contestation.

Response time

We will examine the reasons for your contestation and inform you of our decision within 30 days of receiving your notice of contestation.

Note that we cannot modify the terms of a judgment; only a court can. Consequently, we do not have the authority to:

  • change the amount of the support payment you are required to pay or reimburse; or
  • reduce your arrears, even if you prove to us that you are financially incapable of paying them.

However, we can correct a calculation error. We can also modify the amount payable if it results from the incorrect application of a judgment or if you provide proof of payment.

Appealling to the Superior Court

You can file an appeal with the Superior Court within 30 days of receiving a decision regarding your contestation if:

  • you are not satisfied with the decision we made after examining the reasons for the contestation;
  • you feel that we should not be collecting the support payments because you believe that you are not subject to the Act to facilitate the payment of support; or
  • you disagree with our decision to end the exemption that lets you make support payments directly to the recipient, without going through us.

We recommend that you speak to a legal advisor for more information on filing an appeal with the Superior Court.

Filing a complaint

You can file a complaint with the Bureau de la protection des droits de la clientèle if:

  • you are not satisfied with the answers you got from the person assigned to your file or their superior;
  • you are not satisfied with how we handled your file; or
  • you feel that your case was not given the required attention.
Note End of note
Veuillez patienter