RQConf_PartnerLoginUrl RQConf_CheckUrl

The Charter of the French language and its regulations govern the consultation of English-language content.

Cessation of Activities

Consumption taxes

If the business ceases its activities, you must request that we cancel its GST and QST registration. You must also request that we cancel its registration for other consumption taxes, if applicable.

If the business ceases its activities and holds a permit in the fuel or tobacco sector, you must inform us that the business has ceased its activities by doing one of the following:

  • filing form LM-4-V, Information Update (Fuel Tax Act and Tobacco Tax Act)
  • sending us a letter providing the necessary information

In addition, if you hold an IFTA license, you must request that the license be cancelled.

Source deductions and employer contributions

If the business ceases its activities, it must, as an employer, make its final remittance and file the required forms by the prescribed deadlines. For more information, click You Stop Making Remittances.

In addition, you must request cancellation of the business's registration for source deductions by filing form LM-1.A-V, Request for Cancellation or Variation of Registration.

Income tax – Individuals in business

If you are an individual in business and you cease to carry on commercial activities, you must inform us.

If the business ceases its activities because the owner has died, consult the Guide to Filing the Income Tax Return of a Deceased Person (IN-117-V).

Income tax – Corporations

As a rule, if a corporation ceases to have an establishment in Québec, it is no longer subject to Québec income tax. You can therefore request cancellation of its registration for corporation income tax by completing a Request for Cancellation or Variation of Registration (form LM-1.A-V).

You are generally required to file income tax returns for the corporation until it is dissolved.

Partnership information return

You must file a final information return for the fiscal period that ends on the date the partnership ceased its activities.

Obligations specific to certain activities

If you operate a bar, a restaurant or a business that provides catering services and you wish to cease your activities, you must fulfill certain obligations. For more information, see Procedure to Stop Using an SRM and How to Transfer SRM Ownership.

Note End of note

One mission. Concrete actions.

Read all about how we work to support and inform you. Our vision and values guide us as we carry out our role.

Veuillez patienter