Movable Property and Vehicles of a Deceased Tenant


If you are a landlord, you cannot dispose of the vehicles belonging to a deceased tenant or the movable property left in his or her dwelling as you see fit. You must comply with certain formalities that are prescribed by law.

If no one else is living in the dwelling, you can move the deceased's movable property to a secure location to reduce the expenses that may be incurred. However, that property is stored at your own risk.

Once we are designated as the liquidator of the succession, we will take appropriate action with respect to the movable property. You can claim legitimate expenses from us. Subject to the funds available in the succession, such expenses will be reimbursed according to your rank (as set out in the Civil Code of Québec).


If a liquidator has not yet been named, contact us to find out what you should do. To ensure that the deceased's movable property and vehicles are processed faster, you can prepare an inventory of the deceased's property (including photos).


If you are a successor and you intend to renounce the succession, you can enclose an inventory of the movable property and vehicles (including photos) with your renunciation file to facilitate its processing and the release of the dwelling. You can also give us the names of any individuals interested in acquiring the property so that we can contact them.


If the deceased had a rental vehicle, it belongs to the creditor. In such a case, contact the creditor to inform it of the death.

Fair. For all.

One vision. Concrete actions.

Read all about how we work to support and inform you. Our vision and values guide us as we carry out our role.

Veuillez patienter