Remunerated Passenger Transportation – Information for Our Partners
“Remunerated passenger transportation” means a service provided by a business carried on in Québec that consists of transporting passengers:
- by taxi or any other similar vehicle, at rates set by the Act respecting remunerated passenger transportation by automobile;
- by motor vehicle, for an agreed price, within and in the vicinity of the territory of a municipality if the transportation is organized or coordinated through a digital platform or an electronic system.
To ensure healthy competition and foster tax fairness in the remunerated passenger transportation sector, we implemented measures making it mandatory to produce a receipt using a technological solution.
This solution features:
- a certified sales recording system (SRS) (or a subsequent version of a certified SRS whose use we have authorized) that collects transaction data and securely sends it to a cloud environment;
- a cloud environment (WEB-SRM) that stores, validates and sends us SRS data securely;
- a computer system that integrates WEB-SRM data into our informational environment.
Now that the solution has been implemented, all operators of remunerated passenger transportation businesses must give their customers a paper or electronic receipt for each trip made. The receipt must be produced using a certified SRS or a subsequent version of a certified SRS whose use we have authorized.
Under the mandatory billing measures in the remunerated passenger transportation sector, each administrator of a remote server (a centralized computer system) that communicates directly with the WEB-SRM must request an authorization code from us.
The code authorizes the remote server to communicate with the WEB-SRM and receive a digital certificate used to identify the owner of the private key or public key.
To obtain an authorization code: