RQConf_PartnerLoginUrl RQConf_CheckUrl

The Charter of the French language and its regulations govern the consultation of English-language content.

Transfer of Funds in an RRSP, a RRIF or a PRPP/VRSP

You may transfer funds from your registered retirement savings plan (RRSP), your registered retirement income fund (RRIF), or your pooled registered pension plan (PRPP), including a voluntary retirement savings plan (RVSP), to the RRSP, RRIF, or PRPP/VRSP of your spouse or former spouse, without the transferred amount being subject to income tax, provided both the following conditions are met:

  • The transfer must be made further to a court order or judgment or a written separation agreement concerning the partition of property between you and your spouse or former spouse. 
  • The property is partitioned in settlement of rights arising out of your relationship, or out of the breakdown of your relationship. 

Moreover, at the time the property in an RRSP or a PRPP/VRSP is transferred, you and your spouse or former spouse must be living apart because of the breakdown of your relationship.

Such transfers must be made directly between the two issuers of the plans concerned. In this case, the transferred amount need not be reported in your income tax return or in that of your spouse or former spouse.

Note End of note
Veuillez patienter