RL-1 Slip – Employment and Other Income

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Click Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) to see whether the measures adopted by Revenu Québec apply to the information on this page.

End of note

Purpose of the RL-1 slip

You file the RL-1 slip to report:

  • the salary or wages and any other remuneration paid to a current, former or future employee;
  • the taxable benefits granted to an individual who receives them as a shareholder or as a member of a partnership (also referred to as a partner);
  • the commissions paid to a self-employed person;
  • the fees and other amounts paid to a self-employed person, if Québec income tax was withheld from such amounts, or if these amounts were paid for building service work performed inside or outside a public building;
  • certain income that is not a salary or wages;
  • amounts deducted at source from the above-mentioned types of remuneration.

Do not use the RL-1 slip to report the drawings of a self-employed person or a partner.

End of note

When we receive your RL-1 slips and RL-1 summary, we carry out a cursory review. If we notice that amounts reported on the RL-1 slips do not match those reported in the RL-1 summary, we will do one of two things. We may send you a notice of assessment detailing any revised amounts, or we may send you one or more of the following forms for you to complete:

  • Statement of Employee and Employer QPP Contributions (LMU-141-V);
  • Statement of Québec Parental Insurance Plan Premiums (LMU-150-V);
  • Statement of Employer Contributions (LMU-142-V).

We forward certain information from the RL-1 slips to Retraite Québec and to the Ministère du Travail, de l'Emploi et de la Solidarité sociale. This information may be taken into account when an application for benefits is filed.

Who is required to file an RL-1 slip?

You are required to file an RL-1 slip (see courtesy translation RL-1-T) if, in the year, you:

  • paid salaries, wages, gratuities, tips, fees, scholarships or commissions as an employer or payer;
  • paid amounts as the custodian of an employee benefit plan to a beneficiary of the plan;
  • allocated amounts as the trustee of an employee trust to a beneficiary of the trust;
  • paid certain income that is not a salary or wages as a payer.

You have more than one account number

If you have more than one employer account, you must file RL-1 slips for each account, under the name and identification number shown on the Remittance of Source Deductions and Employer Contributions (form TPZ-1015.R.14.1-V, TPZ‑1015.R.14.2-V, TPZ-1015.R.14.3-V or TPZ-1015.R.14.4-V, according to your remittance frequency) for each one.

Fair. For all.

One vision. Concrete actions.

Read all about how we work to support and inform you. Our vision and values guide us as we carry out our role.

Veuillez patienter