Eligible relative with whom you were cohabiting
A person other than your spouse:
- with whom you cohabited for a period of at least 365 consecutive days (including at least 183 days in 2019);
- who was at least 18 at some time during the cohabitation period in 2019 and had a severe and prolonged impairment in mental or physical functions that rendered him or her unable to live alone as certified by a physician or a specialized nurse practitioner.
The relative can be:
- your or your spouse's father, mother, grandfather or grandmother, or any other of your or your spouse's direct ascendants;
- your or your spouse's child, grandchild, nephew, niece, brother or sister; or
- your or your spouse's uncle, aunt, great-uncle or great-aunt.
The period of 365 consecutive days must have begun in 2018 or 2019. If it began in 2019, it may end in 2020.