Generally Available Documents and Information
Generally speaking, you can get the following documents by means of an information or access request:
- a copy of an income tax or consumption tax return, RL slip or power of attorney you filed (or any enclosed documents);
- a copy of a document we sent you (such as a notice of assessment, determination, recovery or advance payments);
- an account statement (detailed or not) or a statement of your balance due.
Likewise, you can get the following either by means of an information or access request or simply by asking the person in charge of your file or an employee who sent you a recent letter:
- a list of actions taken with respect to your file;
- the reports and work sheets prepared by an auditor in support of a notice assessment;
- information about other people included in your file, if it is needed to prepare your notice of assessment.
To protect the confidential information of the parties involved and maintain the integrity of the tax system, we cannot release the following documents and information, regardless of whether you make an information request or an access request:
- documents related to an ongoing investigation;
- information protected by attorney-client privilege;
- legal opinions;
- information about our audit methods and materiality limits, as well as any other information that, if released, could result in a loss to Revenu Québec or unfairly benefit another person;
- information obtained from a municipal, provincial or federal body, except for information needed to prepare your notice of assessment;
- information about other people included in your file that is not needed to prepare your notice of assessment.