RQConf_PartnerLoginUrl RQConf_CheckUrl

The Charter of the French language and its regulations govern the consultation of English-language content.

Residents of Remote Areas

If you live in a remote area or far from a major urban centre, you may qualify for a number of tax benefits.

See the Prescribed Intermediate Zones and the Prescribed Northern Zones pages to determine whether the region you live in is a designated remote area.

Tax credits and deductions

To learn about the tax benefits for residents of remote areas, see:

Meal and vehicle expenses

You can claim an amount for meal and vehicle expenses incurred as travel expenses without having to keep or provide detailed receipts.

See the Government of Canada's website for more information on meal and vehicle expenses

Interruption in the residence period

If your principal place of residence is located outside a designated remote area, but you live in a remote area, each time you leave the area may constitute an interruption of the residence period. The frequency, purpose and duration of such absences are all factors to be considered. For example, if you leave the area as frequently as once a week, each absence is considered an interruption in the residence period.

A temporary absence (such as an absence for vacation or for a temporary assignment) is not considered an interruption in the residence period.

For more information, see the instructions for line 236 in the guide to the income tax return (TP-1.G-V) or guide TP-350.1.G-V, Deduction for Residents of Designated Remote Areas.

Note End of note
Veuillez patienter