Sending Unclaimed Succession Files
We must be notified of the death and of the renunciation of the succession so that we can act as the liquidator of the unclaimed succession.
The renunciation must be done by notarial act en minute or by a judicial declaration by the prescribed deadline. Moreover, it must be published in the register of personal and movable real rights.
Complete a Request to Open a File for an Unclaimed Succession (form BD-82.1-V) and enclose the following documents with the form:
- a copy of a proof of death (certificate of death or act of death) provided by the Directeur de l'état civil;
- a copy of the last will of the deceased, if applicable;
- a certified copy of the act of renunciation of succession:
- if there is a will, all successors listed in it must renounce the succession,
- if there is no will, the succession must be renounced by the deceased's spouse by marriage or civil union and by the persons related to the deceased by blood or adoption, meaning the spouse and children (if there are no children, the mother, father, brothers and sisters, nieces and nephews, by representation, must renounce the succession);
- the designated liquidator's renunciation, if applicable.
Moreover, to help us quickly and efficiently liquidate the unclaimed succession, you can send us the following if you have them:
- a copy of the registration of the act of renunciation in the register of personal and movable real rights;
- the will search certificate from the Chambre des notaires du Québec;
- the will search certificate from the Barreau du Québec;
- the inventory of property and the list of debts of the deceased (photos of the property can be included with the request);
- personal documents of the deceased that could be useful for the liquidation (bank statements, insurance policies, etc.);
- a copy of the most recent marriage contract, if applicable;
- a copy of the most recent divorce judgment, if applicable;
- documents from the trustee in bankruptcy, if applicable;
- form BNR-105-V, Family Patrimony, if applicable;
- the keys to buildings or vehicles belonging to the deceased, if applicable;
- any other relevant documents.
Send everything to:
Direction des successions non réclamées
500, boulevard René-Lévesque Ouest, 10e étage
Montréal (Québec) H2Z 1W7
Even if your clients renounce the partition of the family patrimony, we must nevertheless calculate the amount of debt resulting from the partition. The surviving spouse, if applicable, will be asked to complete form BNR-105-V, Family Patrimony, so that we can make the calculation.
For more information, see General Information Concerning Unclaimed Property.