Making Support Payments

You are a debtor of support

There are two ways support payments are collected under the support-payment collection program: source deductions or payment orders.

Source deductions

If you receive a salary or other amount on a regular or periodic basis, we will collect the amount owed as support through source deductions. Amounts may be withheld from the following:

  • salary, wages or other remuneration;
  • advances on remuneration;
  • amounts paid to you under a profit-sharing plan;
  • retiring allowances and severance pay.

Support may also be deducted from disability benefits or annuities.

We determine the amount of the source deduction based on the support you are required to pay. We also consider any arrears or other fees or charges that you owe.

Without your consent, the source deduction cannot exceed the seizable portion of your gross income. See the information for employers on how to calculate the seizable portion of income.

Change in your situation

If we collect your support payments through source deductions and these source deductions cannot be made for any reason, such as sick leave or a reduction of work hours, you must notify us immediately to avoid accumulating arrears.

Payment orders

We may send you a payment order to pay the support to the creditor of support if:

  • you receive no amount on which the support can be withheld through source deduction (if you are self-employed, for example);
  • the source deduction does not cover the amount of support owed (the deduction notice cannot exceed the seizable portion of your gross income);
  • the support you are required to pay should normally be withheld through source deduction, but you request that payment orders be used instead, so that you may make the payments directly to us (in this case, you must pay the full security amount after receiving the payment order and we will not honour your request if you have arrears).

In such situations, you must pay the support directly to us. However, you must pay security to us, unless you receive employment insurance or an employment-assistance allowance from Emploi-Québec.

Making support payments further to a payment order

You can make support payments in any of the following ways:

Paying by mail
  • If you make a support payment before you have received the remittance slip, write your file number on the front of your cheque.
  • If you want to send your cheque or other documents by mail, see our mailing addresses.


Most people who pay support by means of a payment order must provide security. The security must be sufficient to guarantee payment of support for one month. It must be maintained for the entire time the debtor of support is paying support by means of a payment order.

Security may be provided in any of the following forms:

  • a sum of money;
  • an undertaking issued by a financial institution that has its head office or an establishment in Québec;
  • a bond, note or similar security issued or guaranteed by the Government of Canada, by another government in Canada or by a legal person established in the public interest.

If security is provided in cash, interest accumulates on the amount at the legal rate of 5%.

  • If you are no longer required to pay support and any arrears and fees owing have been paid, we will return any unused amount of security to you.
  • If your obligation of support ends as the result of an agreement with the creditor of support, you must have the court confirm the agreement. We will return the security to you after receiving the judgment.

Inability to provide security

If you unable to provide the required security, we may collect the amount from you gradually, using measures that are adapted to your situation.

If you apply to pay support by payment order rather than by source deductions, you cannot constitute security gradually.

You are a creditor of support

We will pay your support payments on the 1st and 16th of each month. The payments will be for the same amount, unless a change is made to your file (partial payment of arrears, debtor failed to pay, reimbursement of a payment advance, etc.). 

The payments are made by cheque. They can be deposited directly into your account at a financial institution. To set up direct deposit, you must:

  • use the online service in My Account for individuals to register for direct deposit of support payments; or
  • complete form PPZ-109-V, Request for Direct Deposit of Support Payments.

Change to an account

To make sure you receive your payments on time, notify us immediately if the account in which we deposit your support payments becomes inactive, has changed or must be changed.


Go to My Account to:

  • view information related to the direct deposit of support payments that we hold on your behalf;
  • make changes to the direct deposit of support payments information;
  • register for direct deposit of support payments.


An advance is considered a support payment. This means that your former spouse must repay the amounts to us. We will pay you an advance only if we are sure that the amount can be recovered from the debtor. Advances are made so that you will not be penalized if there are administrative delays.

We may advance an amount of support to you, although we are not required to do so. Advances are normally paid for a maximum of three months. The maximum amount that can be advanced is $1,500.

If the amount of support or the arrears are reduced or cancelled, you may have to reimburse an amount received as an advance. If you received an overpayment and must reimburse it, click Overpayment or Non-receipt of Support Payments.

We cannot pay you advances in the following situations:

  • Your former spouse cannot be located or has no income.
  • Your former spouse has not been paying support and we have sent him or her a payment order.
  • The security provided by your former spouse has already been used to pay you support.
  • You or your former spouse does not live in Québec.
  • You owe us an amount under the Act to facilitate the payment of support.
  • Your support is remitted to the Ministère du Travail, de l'Emploi et de la Solidarité sociale because you receive social assistance payments.

Dependent child turns 18

Support payments must continue until the child either:

  • turns 18; or
  • becomes financially independent.

Only a court can determine whether a child is financially independent. We will only cancel support payments for a child 18 or older on receipt of a court judgment authorizing the stoppage.

Viewing your file

You can use the online service in My Account for individuals for viewing support-payment files to get information about the payments you receive (if you are a creditor of support) or the latest payment you made (if you are a debtor of support), or to view certain communications in your support-payment file.

One mission. Concrete actions.

Read all about how we work to support and inform you. Our vision and values guide us as we carry out our role.

Veuillez patienter