Filing Form FP-106-V
GST or QST registrants that pay or credit a rebate for a foreign convention or a tour package and claim on their tax return a deduction for the GST or QST paid or credited must file form FP-106-V, Information Return: Rebates Paid or Credited for Foreign Conventions and Tour Packages.
The following registrants may have to file form FP-106-V:
- In the case of eligible tour packages including accommodations in Canada, any GST registrant that pays or credits a rebate to
- a tour operator not resident in Canada and not a GST/HST registrant,
- an individual, business or body not resident in Canada.
- In the case of foreign conventions,
- the organizer of a foreign convention that is a GST or QST registrant that pays or credits a rebate to a promoter,
- an operator of a convention facility that is a GST or QST registrant that is not the convention organizer and that pays or credits a rebate to a non-registered promoter or organizer,
- a supplier of short-term or camping accommodations, other than the convention organizer, that is a GST or QST registrant and that pays or credits a rebate to a non-registered promoter or organizer.
In their tax return, GST or QST registrants that pay or credit a rebate for a foreign convention or a tour package must include the total GST or QST collected or collectible on the supply and claim a deduction for the amount of the GST or QST paid or credited.
These registrants must then file form FP-106-V for each filing period in the course of which they paid or credited a rebate and claimed a deduction relative to
- the GST or QST collected or collectible on the supply of a tour package or convention facilities, or on supplies related to a convention, as the case may be;
- a rebate paid or credited to a person.
The form must be filed no later than the date on which the GST or QST return must be filed for the period in which the deduction is claimed. The consequences for not filing the form by the deadline vary according to the date on which it was filed.
Registrants that do not respect the deadline must add to the net tax an amount equal to the interest (at the prescribed rate), calculated on the amount of the deduction claimed.
The registrant must repay the amount claimed as a deduction and add to the net tax due an amount equal to the interest (at the prescribed rate) calculated on the amount claimed as a deduction if the form is not filed by the earliest of the following dates:
- the date corresponding to four years following the year in which the registrant was required to file the GST or QST return for the period in which the deduction was claimed;
- the date specified in a formal notice requiring the registrant to file the form.
For more information, see the following documents:
- Conventions (27.2);
- Foreign Convention and Tour Incentive Program – Rebate for Eligible Tour Packages and Accommodation Supplied as Part of Eligible Tour Packages (27-3);
- Foreign Convention and Tour Incentive Program – Registrant Organizers and Convention Facility Operators: Paying and Crediting the Rebate Amount for Foreign Conventions (GI-031);
- Foreign Convention and Tour Incentive Program – Non-Residents Purchasing Tour Packages: Rebate for Eligible Tour Packages (GI-032);
- GST/HST Information for the Travel and Convention Industry (RC4036).