Limits and Rates Related to the Use of an Automobile for 2019
The limits and rates for the deduction of automobile expenses and the calculation of the taxable benefits related to the use of an automobile for 2019 are as follows:
- For purposes of capital cost allowance (CCA), the maximum capital cost of passenger vehicles remains unchanged at $30,000 (plus GST and QST) for vehicles purchased after 2018.
- The limit on the deduction of leasing costs remains unchanged at $800 per month (plus GST and QST) for leases entered into after 2018. Under a separate restriction, deductible leasing costs are prorated where the value of the passenger vehicle exceeds the maximum capital cost.
- The limit on the deduction of tax-exempt allowances paid by employers to employees using their personal vehicle for business purposes increased to 58 cents per kilometre for the first 5,000 kilometres and 52 cents for each additional kilometre.
- The limit on the deduction of interest paid on amounts borrowed to purchase a passenger vehicle remains unchanged at $300 per month for loans related to vehicles acquired after 2018.
- The prescribed rate used to determine the taxable benefit respecting the portion of operating expenses which relates to an employee's personal use of an automobile provided by the employer has been increased to 28 cents per kilometre. For taxpayers employed principally in selling or leasing automobiles, the prescribed rate has been increased to 25 cents per kilometre.