Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Click Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) to see whether the measures adopted by Revenu Québec apply to the information on this page.

Published | Categories : Income tax - individuals, Income tax - businesses, Better tax practices – individuals

Disposition of Taxable Québec Property by a Person Not Resident in Canada

Any person not resident in Canada (a non-resident) that disposes of taxable Québec property must obtain a certificate from Revenu Québec. The document certifies that the non-resident has met all its fiscal obligations with regard to the disposition and relieves the acquirer of any liability for income tax arising from the transaction.

Non-residents must obtain a certificate even if the transaction results in a capital loss.

Once the certificate has been received, the notary can release the proceeds of disposition to the non-resident.

So that certificate applications can be processed more quickly, Revenu Québec asks that notaries and other professional representatives inform non-residents of all the documents required in order to obtain a certificate, including any additional documents required for processing.

Documents required in order to obtain a certificate

To obtain a certificate, non-residents must include the following documents with their application:

  • Form TP-1097-V, Notice of Disposition or Proposed Disposition of Taxable Québec Property by an Individual or Corporation Not Resident in Canada, duly completed
  • A copy of the non-resident's acquisition contract
  • Documents that justify the adjusted cost base of the property (such as an invoice from the broker or notary, invoices supporting improvements made to the building, etc.)
  • A copy of the non-resident's disposition contract for the property, or any other written agreement (such as a promise of sale) signed by both parties to a proposed disposition
  • If the disposition of the property results in a capital gain, a cheque or money order made payable to the Minister of Revenue of Québec for 12.875% of the capital gain realized (or 30% of the capital gain realized, in the case of a life insurance policy)

Additional documents required for processing

For faster processing of their applications, non-residents must include the following documents with their applications:

  • An act of transmission (in the case of a transfer)
  • A will (in the case of a legacy)
  • Financial statements or an annual report (in the case of transferred shares)
  • Form TP-274-V,  Designation of Property as a Principal Residence (in the case of a principal residence)

Certificate applications made before the disposition of the property

Where an application for a certificate is made before the disposition of the property, the non-resident is not required to file another copy of form TP-1097-V when the disposition actually takes place. However, the certificate is no longer valid and a new copy of form TP-1097-V must be filed if any of the following is true:

  • The acquirer is not the person initially named in the written agreement.
  • The amount of the proceeds of disposition is different from the estimated amount.
  • The adjusted cost base is different from the one reported on the form.

Sending the application

Certificate applications must be sent to:

Certificat – Non-résident
Revenu Québec
3800, rue de Marly, secteur JO
Québec (Québec)  G1X 4A5


Certain tax treaties may affect how capital gains are calculated.

Fair. For all.

One vision. Concrete actions.

Read all about how we work to support and inform you. Our vision and values guide us as we carry out our role.

Veuillez patienter