Registering for taxes by phone is easy!
If you are an individual looking to start your own business, you can now register for the GST and QST by calling us or by having someone else call us on your behalf. This new registration method is part of a pilot project that aims to eventually allow all mandataries to register for the GST and QST over the phone.
Not only is this new registration method completely secure, but it will also save you time and money because you just have to pick up the phone. Like all other registrants, you will receive a letter confirming your registration.
You can also opt to use any of our other existing registration methods. In other words, if you prefer, you can register online, by mail, or in person at one of our offices.
To register yourself or another person for the GST and QST by telephone, simply
- gather all the information needed for registration (see below);
- dial one of the telephone numbers listed below;
- choose option 4.
Please note that this service is available Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and Wednesday from 10:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Information you will need in order to register
Be sure to have on hand the social insurance number of the person who wishes to register and, if applicable, the Québec enterprise number issued by the Registraire des entreprises, as well as the business number issued by the Canada Revenue Agency.
If you are calling on someone else’s behalf, you must also provide your own social insurance number and date of birth for identification purposes.
You must also provide the following information:
- the business name, if applicable;
- the business’s principal commercial activity and, if applicable, its secondary activities, in order of importance;
- the date on which the business began to carry on its activities in Québec;
- the total taxable sales, including zero-rated sales, that the business expects to make in <country-region w:st="on" />Canada in the following 12 months;
- the home address and telephone number of the person who wishes to register;
- the address and telephone number of the location where the principal commercial activity of the business is carried on;
- the mailing address, if different.
To contact us
- If you are in the Montréal area, call 514 873-4692.
- If you are in the <placename w:st="on" />Québec <placetype w:st="on" />City area, call 418 659-4692.
- If you are elsewhere in Québec, call 1 800 567-4692 (toll free).