Internet privacy and the protection of confidential information are of the utmost importance to Revenu Québec.
Revenu Québec collects confidential information within its online services for citizens and businesses. It uses this information in processing your file, in applying the laws in effect and in administering certain programs.
Revenu Québec may also collect certain information regarding your identity (such as your name, address, telephone number and certain identification numbers). This information allows Revenu Québec to:
- confirm your identity in its exchanges with you
- retrieve the information it needs to process your file
- ensure the confidentiality of the information that relates to you
When you connect to the Revenu Québec website, information is exchanged transparently between your computer and the server. This information, listed below, is used by Revenu Québec for statistical purposes, such as recording the number of visitors to the site and determining which pages are consulted most frequently:
- the IP address through which you access the site (an IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to your computer by your Internet access provider every time you surf the Web)
- the browser and operating system used to access the site
- your date and time of access
- the Web pages that you view
- the address of any site that led you to Revenu Québec's website
Revenu Québec ensures that only authorized employees have access to information regarding you, and that they require the information to carry out their duties. For more information, consult our list of banks of confidential information (available in French only).
As provided for by law, Revenu Québec may release confidential information regarding you to other government bodies and organizations without your prior consent. For more information, consult the following registers (available in French only):
- Registre d'utilisation des renseignements personnels à une autre fin et de communication ou d'accès à des renseignements confidentiels par des tiers (information about the communication of or access to confidential information by a third party, and use of personal information for another purpose)
- Registre de communication de renseignements confidentiels dans le cadre d'ententes avec des organismes publics et des administrations fiscales (information about the communication of confidential information in the context of agreements between Revenu Québec and public bodies and tax authorities)
The majority of information collected by Revenu Québec is kept on-site at Revenu Québec's offices, though, in accordance with the law, Revenu Québec may entrust the keeping of certain information to a third party. The third party may not be on Revenu Québec's premises, in exceptional cases.
After the confidential information collected has been used for its intended purpose, Revenu Québec destroys it, subject to the requirements of the retention schedule approved by Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec and any legal requirements.
Revenu Québec's security measures meet the highest standards in the field of information security. This ensures the protection of information not only at the time it is collected, but also while it is used and kept, and when it is released or destroyed. For more information about data security on the Revenu Québec website, consult the Data Security page.
You are responsible for the information that you submit to Revenu Québec and for the confidentiality of your identification data, access code and password (if applicable). Revenu Québec cannot be held responsible for unauthorized use of this information.
To find out how you can protect your confidential information, consult the Rules page.