Are you eligible for the income tax assistance program?
You may be eligible to take advantage of the income tax assistance program if you have a modest income and a simple tax situation.
Under the program, a volunteer will help you complete your income tax returns free of charge. You will thus be sure that you are claiming all the benefits and tax credits to which you are entitled.
Your family income must not exceed the limits in the table below. Check with your community organization to make sure you meet program requirements.
|Suggested income limits|
|Person living alone||$25,000|
|One adult with one child||$30,000|
|Each additional dependant||$2,000|
Generally speaking, your tax situation is considered simple if you do not have any income or if the source of your income is:
- a pension;
- benefits from the Québec Pension Plan, a disability insurance plan or employment insurance, or social assistance payments;
- income or an annuity from a registered retirement savings plan (RRSP);
- support payments;
- a scholarship;
- interest (less than $1,000).
Your situation is not considered simple if:
- you are self-employed or have employment expenses;
- you have rental or business income and expenses;
- you sold your principal residence;
- you have capital gains or losses;
- you declared bankruptcy; or
- you are completing the return of a deceased person.
Most income tax return preparation sessions are held during the day in March and April for income tax returns for the previous year. However, a number of organizations offer tax preparation services outside of this period. To find out where services are offered in Québec, refer to the list of Tax Preparation Clinics or contact Revenu Québec's client services.
Note that the list of sessions is updated regularly.
Remember to bring your RL slips and information slips, your receipts, your notice of assessment for the previous year and any other relevant document. Volunteers will need them to complete your federal and Québec income tax returns.
If you are missing an information slip or RL slip, you can get a copy online through: