Measures to Counter Tax Evasion
Your cooperation is essential in countering tax evasion and the underground economy. Here are a few examples of how you can help:
- Pay by cheque, credit card or debit card. If you leave a paper trail of your transactions, merchants will be induced to remit the taxes they collect and to report all of their income.
- Choose licensed contractors for your building and renovation work.
- Make sure to obtain a written contract before work begins. This will protect you in the event of problems (for example, the failure to stand by a warranty).
- Demand invoices. An invoice will not only encourage the merchant to report all income, but will provide proof of the transaction and guarantee the property and services that you acquired.
- Pay the taxes owed on your purchases.
- Report all of your income and pay your fair share of income tax in compliance with the basic principles of our tax system.
- Report an individual or business that fails to meet one or more fiscal obligations.