Measures to Counter Tax Evasion
Your cooperation is essential in countering tax evasion and the underground economy. Here are a few examples of how you can help:
- Pay by cheque, credit card or debit card. If you leave a paper trail of your transactions, merchants will be more likely to remit the taxes they collect to us and to report all of their income.
- Choose licensed contractors for your building and renovation work.
- Make sure to obtain a written contract before work begins. This will protect you in the event of problems (for example, the failure to stand by a warranty).
- Demand invoices. An invoice will not only encourage the merchant to report all income, but will provide proof of the transaction and guarantee the property and services that you acquired.
- Pay the taxes owed on your purchases.
- Report all of your income and pay your fair share of income tax in compliance with the basic principles of our tax system.
- Report an individual or business that fails to meet one or more fiscal obligations.
To help foster voluntary respect of tax obligations, ask the company with which you are doing business for its QST registration number. You can then use the Validate a QST Registration Number online service to verify the validity of the number.