Covid-19: FAQ

This page will be updated regularly. 

Last updated: March 31, 2020.

Individuals – income tax return

What is the deadline for filing my income tax return?

The deadline for filing your income tax return for 2019 has been extended to June 1, 2020.

What is the deadline for paying an income tax balance for 2019?

For individuals and individuals in business, the deadline for paying an income tax balance for 2019 has been extended to September 1, 2020.

If you received a notice of assessment for the 2019 taxation year showing that you have until April 30, 2020, to pay the balance due, note that this information is no longer up to date. You now have until September 1, 2020, to pay the balance.
What's happening with instalment payments?

If you are required to make instalment payments, the June 15 payment can be made as late as September 1, 2020.

What's happening with solidarity tax credit payments?

Even though the income tax return filing deadline has been extended, Revenu Québec will make payments as planned on July 1.

Should I wait to file my income tax return?

If you expect to receive a refund, you should file your return right away to get it as soon as possible.

Individuals – support payments

Is Revenu Québec still collecting support payments?

Yes. In accordance with the law, Revenu Québec will continue to collect support payments.

Is Revenu Québec still making support payments?
Yes. In accordance with the law, Revenu Québec will continue to make support payments.
I pay support and have been laid off. How can I get my support payments reduced?

Only a court can modify the amount of support established in a judgment. If you are unable to make your support payments because your situation has changed, you must obtain a new judgment. For more information, visit the Ministère de la Justice website.

I pay support and have been laid off. How do I let Revenu Québec know?

Please call client services and leave a message explaining your situation. One of our agents will call you back as soon as possible. When we call back, you will need to answer a few questions to identify yourself using information from a recent notice of assessment or from a recent letter we sent you. Please have one of those documents on hand before we call you back. Remember that your notices of assessment are available in My Account for individuals. To register for My Account or to log in, click My Account for Individuals.

We recently received a judgment. Will it be processed?

Yes. In accordance with the law, Revenu Québec will continue to process support judgments.

I receive support, and the person paying it will be receiving the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB). Can this benefit be seized?
No. This benefit cannot be seized.
Is there a way to find out whether my next support payment will be made as usual?

Yes. Use My Account for individuals a few days before the payment date to see whether the payment is being prepared. To register for or access My Account, go to My Account for individuals.

Individuals – others

My daycare is closed, but I'm still getting advance payments. What do I do?

You have three options:

  1. Reduce the number of days. You will receive smaller advance payments for the rest of the year.
  2. Stop the payments. When your daycare reopens, you can apply to have your advance payments resume.
  3. Do nothing. Your advance payments will continue unchanged, but you will have to pay back any overpayment you received when you file your income tax return in spring 2021.

Please use My account for individuals to make your changes. To register or log in, see My Account for individuals.

Since we are currently operating with reduced staff, we cannot make these changes over the phone.
I receive advance payments of the tax credit for home-support services for seniors but did not file my application to renew the payments by the deadline. Since I'm self-isolating, how can I continue to receive advance payments?

If you should have filed your application to renew advance payments of the tax credit for home-support services for seniors between March 17, 2020, and June 1, 2020, Revenu Québec is giving you an additional 4 months from the renewal date to file your application.

You will continue to receive your advance payments in the meantime.

However, if Revenu Québec learns that you are no longer eligible for advance payments or if you ask that payments be adjusted, Revenu Québec will take action accordingly.

I receive payments under the shelter allowance program. Should I be worried that I have to renew my payments in the next few months?

No. To make things easier for you in the short- and medium-term, you have an additional two months to file your renewal application.

You now have until December 1, 2020, to file your application with Revenu Québec.

I've lost my job. What will happen to my advance payments of the work premium?

It depends on your situation:

  • If you have lost your job permanently, contact Revenu Québec to have your payments stopped. If they are not, you will have to repay the overpayments to Revenu Québec when you file your 2020 income tax return.
  • If you have lost your job temporarily (3 or more weeks), you have two options:
    • Do nothing. Your advance payments will continue, but you will have to repay the overpayments to Revenu Québec when you file your 2020 income tax return.
    • Contact Revenu Québec to have your payments stopped.
If I need to get in touch with you, can I go to one of your offices?

Most of our offices are closed indefinitely to help government-wide efforts to prevent the coronavirus from spreading and protect the health and safety of our clients and employees.

As of Wednesday, April 1, 2020, the following offices will be open:

  • Laval (5, Place-Laval, bureau 147)
  • Longueuil (825, rue Saint-Laurent Ouest)
  • Montréal-Est (Village olympique, pyramide Est, bureau 4000, 5199, rue Sherbrooke Est)
  • Montréal-Ouest (3300, boulevard de la Côte-Vertu, 2e étage, Saint-Laurent)
  • Québec City (3800, rue de Marly, Québec)

Business hours are from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Monday to Friday. Note that we have indefinitely suspended all individual appointments.To protect the health and safety of our clients and employees, security personnel will be onsite to manage access and ensure that visitors comply with social distancing and infection control guidelines.

We recommend that you use our online services in My Account for individuals or My Account for businesses. If necessary, you can send us secure email or call our client services toll-free at one of the following numbers:

Individuals: 1 800 267-6299
Businesses: 1 800 567-4692
Solidarity tax credit and advance payments: 1 855 291-6467


Are there relief measures for partnerships that are required to file an information return?

Partnerships composed entirely of individuals that normally would be required to file the Partnership Information Return (form TP-600-V) for the fiscal period ended in 2019 by March 31, 2020, now have until May 1, 2020, to file the return.

Tax preparers

What are the relief measures for tax preparers?

To limit in-person contact, Revenu Québec will now allow preparers to use an electronic signature on some forms that their clients must sign. The forms in question are form TP-1000.TE-V (for individuals) and form CO-1000.TE (for corporations).

Fair. For all.

One vision. Concrete actions.

Read all about how we work to support and inform you. Our vision and values guide us as we carry out our role.

Veuillez patienter