Reporting Income – Short-Term Accommodations

As a rule, you are required to report all your income from the rental of an accommodation unit. In most cases, you must report this rental income according to the instructions for line 136 in the Guide to the Income Tax Return (TP-1.G-V).

For more information on rental income and the deductions to which you may be entitled, see Individuals and Rental Income (IN-100-V).

Occasional rental of rooms

If you occasionally rent out rooms (for example, during an annual festival), you are not required to include this rental income in your income if:

  • the rental period does not exceed 20 days for the year; and
  • you receive no other income from room rentals.

Business income

Income earned from renting out an accommodation unit can be considered business income if you devoted considerable time and effort to this business activity. If this is the case, you are considered to be an individual in business and you must report this income according to the instructions for line 164 in the Guide to the Income Tax Return (TP-1.G-V).

For more information on business income, see Business and Professional Income (IN-155-V).

Business income or rental income?

You must know the difference between income earned from business activities and income earned from the rental of property because these two types of income are not treated the same for tax purposes. To learn how to distinguish between these two types of income, see Part 2 of Business and Professional Income (IN-155-V).

Fair. For all.

One vision. Concrete actions.

Read all about how we work to support and inform you. Our vision and values guide us as we carry out our role.

Veuillez patienter