You may be eligible for the program if one of the following situations applies to you:
- You live alone and are 50 or older.
- You have a spouse and one of you is 50 or older.
- You are part of a low-income family with at least one dependent child.
To receive the shelter allowance, your and your spouse, if applicable, must have filed your Québec income tax return.
You are not eligible for the shelter allowance program if:
- You live in a low rental housing unit (HLM) or a government-funded health and social services centre.
- You receive a rent supplement or another housing subsidy.
- You or your spouse, if applicable, have belongings or cash amounts that exceed $50,000 in value (excluding the value of your residence, land, furniture and car).
When we calculate the amount of your allowance, we consider the number of people in your household, the type of household you live in, your income and your monthly rent. See the table below to find out if you are eligible.
|Number of people in your household||Type of household||Minimum monthly rent||Maximum annual household income|
|One adult||Person 50 years or older living in a rooming house||$198||$18,364|
|One adult and one child||Person with one child or more living in a rooming house||$198||$18,364|
|One adult||Individual aged 50 or over||$308||$18,364|
|Two adults||Childless couple in which at least one of the partners is aged 50 or over||$398||$27,971|
|One adult and one child||Single-parent family with one child||$398||$27,971|
|Two adults and one child||Couple with one child||$434||$27,971|
|One adult and two children||Single-parent family with two children||$434||$27,971|
|Two adults and two children||Couple with two children||$460||$27,971|
|One adult and three children||Single-parent family with three children||$460||$27,971|
|Two adults and three or more children||Couple with three or more children||$486||$27,971|
|One adult and four or more children||Single-parent family with four or more children||$486||$27,971|
- If you pay your own electricity or heat, you may qualify for the program even if your rent is less than the amount shown.
- The household's maximum annual income is for 2020 and does not include monthly support payments received (up to $350 per child).