Registering for Direct Deposit
We can pay the amounts you are entitled to (such as a refund, a benefit, a payment under a program or any other tax-related payment) by direct deposit to ensure you receive them quickly.
All you need to register for direct deposit is an account at a financial institution with an establishment in Canada.
It's fast and easy with guide IN-548.IM-V, Registering for Direct Deposit or Changing Banking Information, which provides clear, step-by-step instructions to simplify the process.
You can register for direct deposit or change your account information in any of the following ways:
- Use My Account for individuals.
- Register online through your financial institution (if your financial institution offers this service).
- Write “VOID” and your name and social insurance number on a blank cheque and send it to us with:
- a signed and dated document asking us to register you for direct deposit, or
- your income tax return.
- Complete a Request for Direct Deposit (form LM-3).
If you are filing your income tax return online, you must provide the following information:
- the branch number of your financial institution
- the financial institution number
- your account number
You can also view your direct deposit information in My Account for individuals.
Direct deposit makes sense because it eliminates the risk of cheques being lost or stolen and guarantees that you will receive the following, even if there is a postal strike or if you are sick or away from home:
- your income tax refund
- your payments of the solidarity tax credit
- your advance payments of the tax credit for childcare expenses
- your advance payments of any tax credits respecting the work premium (the work premium, adapted work premium and supplement to the work premium)
- your advance payments of the tax credit for home-support services for seniors
- your advance payment of the tax credit for the treatment of infertility
- any other tax-related payments
To register for direct deposit to manage your support payments, select Register in the Support payments menu in My Account for individuals.
For information on how to register for direct deposit quickly and easily in My Account, see Registering for Direct Deposit or Changing Banking Information (IN-548.IM-V).