Your Residential Rental Property Underwent Substantial Renovation
For you to be entitled to a rebate (partial refund) of the GST and QST paid with respect to the substantial renovation of residential rental property, all the following conditions must be met:
- You owned the land before the renovation work to the residential rental property was substantially completed.
- You paid the taxes on the fair market value (FMV) of the property by self-assessment.
- The residential rental property contains at least one qualifying residential unit.
- The FMV of the qualifying residential unit is not more than
- $450,000 for GST purposes; and
- $225,000 for QST purposes.
Note that in the case of a duplex, the FMV limit applies to the total of the two units.