Eligibility for the Solidarity Tax Credit
You may be entitled to the solidarity tax credit for the period from July 2021 to June 2022 if you met all the following requirements on December 31, 2020:
- You were 18 or older or, if you were younger than 18, you:
- had a spouse;
- were the father or mother of a child who lived with you; or
- were recognized as an emancipated minor by a competent authority (such as a court).
- You were resident in Québec.
- You or your spouse was:
- a Canadian citizen;
- a permanent resident or a protected person within the meaning of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act; or
- a temporary resident or the holder of a temporary resident permit within the meaning of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act who had been living in Canada for the last 18 months.
However, you are not entitled to the solidarity tax credit if either of the following situations applies to you:
- You were confined to a prison or similar institution on December 31, 2020, and, in 2020, you were confined for one or more periods totalling more than 183 days.
- Someone received a family allowance payment from Retraite Québec with regard to you for December 2020 (unless you turned 18 during that month).
As a rule, you must be registered for direct deposit in order to receive the solidarity tax credit.
You must inform us of any changes to your banking information. Note that you will lose your entitlement to the tax credit for the payment period from July 2021 to June 2022 if we are unable to deposit the tax credit by January 1, 2025.
You can register for direct deposit in one of the following ways:
- Use the online service in My Account for individuals.
- Register online through your financial institution (if your financial institution offers this service).
- Enclose with your return a voided cheque (from an account at a financial institution that has an establishment in Canada) bearing your name and social insurance number.
- Complete a Request for Direct Deposit (form LM-3-V) and enclose it with your return.
We will send you a notice showing the amount you are entitled to for the period from July 2021 to June 2022 and the information we took into consideration to calculate it.
Contact us if you do not have a bank account.