Changing an Income Tax Return That You Have Already Filed
To make changes to an income tax return that has already been filed, do not file a new return. Instead:
- Complete form TP-1.R-V, Request for an Adjustment to an Income Tax Return, and mail it to us, together with the documents justifying your request.
- Use the Request to Change Income Tax Return Information online service in My Account for individuals to request an adjustment to certain lines of your income tax return (certain restrictions apply).
- Make the changes using commercial software authorized by Revenu Québec and send us the amended return electronically or by mail (if you send it electronically, do not send us a paper copy).
Note that you must complete form TP-1.R-V and mail it to us if you are in any of the following situations:
- You are unable to change the information for a line of the income tax return using the online service.
- You want to request an adjustment to an income tax return for a year preceding 2015.
- Your income tax return is currently being processed.
- Your income tax return covers a period from January 1 to the day preceding the day of your bankruptcy.
- Your income tax return is for a year preceding the year of your bankruptcy.
- You filed form TP-22-V, Income Tax Payable by an Individual Who Carries On a Business in Canada, Outside Québec, or form TP-25-V, Income Tax Payable by an Individual Resident in Canada, Outside Québec, Who Carries On a Business in Québec, with your income tax return.
- You contested, by means of a notice of objection or of an appeal to the Court of Québec (Civil Division), a notice of assessment that we sent you after processing your income tax return.
If you filed your 2018 return using software, you can use the same software to make changes to it.
If you cannot use the Request to Change Income Tax Return Information online service because your income tax return is being processed, you can do either of the following:
- Wait until your return has been processed to use the online service.
- Complete form TP-1.R-V, Request for an Adjustment to an Income Tax Return, and mail it to us.
If the change concerns only the transfer of tax credits from one spouse to the other, do not request the change. We will make the adjustment to your income tax return when processing it.
As a rule, you can only claim a refund after adjusting an income tax return for a taxation year that ends in one of the ten calendar years preceding your request. For example, in 2019, you can claim a refund for the 2009 through 2018 taxation years. However, the ten-year limit does not apply to the solidarity tax credit. If you forgot to claim the solidarity tax credit, click Claiming the Credit to find out what the deadline in that case is.