Completing Your Income Tax Return
Before completing your income tax return:
- see what's new for 2020; and
- gather up all the documents you will need to complete your return (RL slips and information slips, receipts, etc.).
You should have received all of the slips needed to file your tax return by late February, except for the RL-15 slip (see courtesy translation RL-15.EX-T) and the RL-16 slip (see courtesy translation RL-16-T), which do not have to be sent to you until the end of March.
Refer to the instructions on your RL slips to find out on which line of the return you must enter the amounts shown on the slips. (For information in English, see the courtesy translations of the RL slips.)
You will not receive the slips you need to complete your income tax return from us—it is up to the issuer of each slip to send it to you. The RL-2 slip, for example, is sent by Retraite Québec.
If you do not have access to your RL slips and information slips or to information regarding your instalment payments or interest we have paid you, you can use authorized software to download some of your tax data or the online service in My Account for individuals to consult it.
You can file your income tax return using software authorized for filing the personal income tax return.
Copies of the “Forms” and “Guide” booklets for the income tax return are available at most Desjardins caisses.
You can also print the income tax return, schedules and guide from our website. Forms and publications related to the income tax return are available on our website under Online Services, Forms and Publications.
When completing an income tax return using our forms, follow the instructions below.
- Use blue or black ink.
- Remember to sign and date your return and to provide your telephone number(s).
- Use the return envelope included in the “Forms” booklet. Make sure you use enough postage so that the envelope is not returned to you by Canada Post. Write your name and address in the upper left-hand corner of the envelope.
If you need help completing your return, refer to:
When filing your return, do not send us:
- your RL slips;
- your federal information slips (except those pertaining to income earned outside Québec); or
- your receipts and other supporting documents (except where otherwise indicated).
You must, however, keep all your slips and supporting documents in case we ask for them. As a rule, you are required to keep them for six years following the taxation year to which they relate. See What to Do with Your RL Slips, Receipts and Other Supporting Documents for more information.