You Purchased Land and a New or Substantially Renovated Residential Unit From a Builder
To be entitled to a rebate (partial refund) of the GST and QST paid when you purchase land and a new or substantially renovated residential unit from a builder, all the following conditions must be met:
- You are an individual.
- The unit is a single-unit residential complex or a residential unit held in co-ownership.
- You purchased the unit and the land at the same time, from the same builder, under a single sales contract.
- You paid GST and QST on the purchase.
- The construction or renovation work was at least 90% completed when ownership of the unit was transferred to you.
- When the work was completed, you or a relation was the first occupant of the unit.
- The unit is your primary place of residence (or that of a relation).
- The purchase price of the unit and the land was under $450,000 for GST purposes and under $300,000 for QST purposes.
The rebate can reach up to 36% of the GST paid and up to 50% of the QST paid, for a maximum GST rebate of $6,300 and a maximum QST rebate of $9,975.
The amount of the rebate is progressively reduced when the purchase price or fair market value (FMV) of the land and the new or renovated residential unit is more than $350,000 for GST purposes and $200,000 for QST purposes.
There is no rebate once the purchase price or FMV reaches $450,000 for GST purposes or $300,000 for QST purposes.
Your rebate application must be filed no later than two years after the date on which ownership of the single-unit residential complex or a residential unit held in co-ownership was transferred to you.
Use the following form to claim your GST/HST rebates: GST-QST New Housing Rebate Application: Rebate Granted by a Builder (FP- 2190.AC-V).
Only one rebate application may be submitted for each residential complex. In the case of a complex held in co-ownership, all the owners must meet the conditions even though only one of them can file a rebate application.
Either you or the builder can file the rebate application. If the builder files it, they must pay or credit the rebate directly to you.