An amount you pay to a hairdresser who is your employee is subject to:
- source deductions of income tax;
- Québec Pension Plan (QPP) contributions;
- Québec parental insurance plan (QPIP) premiums;
- the contribution to the health services fund;
- the contribution related to labour standards;
- the contribution to the Workforce Skills Development and Recognition Fund (WSDRF) (if applicable).
You must include this amount in your total payroll used to calculate your health services fund contribution rate and your participation in workforce skills development.
If you pay an amount to a hairdresser who is self-employed, the amount is not subject to source deductions of income tax or employer contributions. As a rule, self-employed persons are responsible for paying certain contributions themselves, using the form Instalment Payments Made by an Individual (TPZ-1026.A-V).