Meals and Lodging Provided to a Restaurant or Hotel Employee
Meals and lodging you provide to a restaurant or hotel employee are taxable benefits for the employee.
You have to include the value of the benefits for meals and lodging in boxes A and V and, where applicable, in box G or box I of the employee's RL-1 slip (see courtesy translation RL-1-T). For more information, go to the Benefit Provided to an Employee page.
The value of the benefit related to the meals provided to a restaurant or hotel employee is calculated as follows:
- the lowest price (including taxes) charged to customers for a meal (such as a daily special, a business meal, a table d'hôte meal, a buffet or a brunch), to a maximum of $9.26 for 2021 and $9.49 for 2022;
- the total of the following amounts:
- 20% of the above amount,
- the amount paid by the employee for the meal.
The value of the benefit related to the lodging provided to a restaurant or hotel employee is calculated as follows:
- the lowest weekly rate (including taxes) for a room rented to paying guests, up to a maximum of $52.25 for 2021 and $53.00 for 2022;
- the weekly rent paid by the employee for the room.