Social Insurance Number

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Click Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) to see whether the measures adopted by Revenu Québec apply to the information on this page.

Under the Act respecting the Québec Pension Plan, you must ask your employees who work in Québec to show you their social insurance card or confirmation of social insurance number (SIN) letter within 30 days after they take up employment. If an employee is under 18, you must ask to see one of these documents in the month following his or her 18th birthday.

Every employee who contributes to the QPP must have a SIN. This number ensures that the employee's contributions and pensionable salary or wages are correctly entered each year in the Record of Contributors kept by Retraite Québec (the record was formerly kept by the Régie des rentes du Québec). The benefits to which the employee may be entitled are based on the data entered in this record.

The SIN is shown on the employee's social insurance card or in the employee's confirmation of SIN letter. An employee should contact Service Canada to obtain a SIN or change information in his or her file (for example, a name change).

You must enter the employee's first name, last name and SIN exactly as they appear on his or her social insurance card or in the confirmation of SIN letter, particularly on the RL-1 slip (see courtesy translation RL-1-T), and in your records and in all correspondence with us. You are responsible for providing a new employee who does not have a SIN with information on how he or she can obtain one. The information is available from Service Canada.

QPP contributions must be withheld from an employee's pensionable salary or wages and paid by you even if the employee does not have a SIN or refuses to provide one.

Fair. For all.

One vision. Concrete actions.

Read all about how we work to support and inform you. Our vision and values guide us as we carry out our role.

Veuillez patienter