How to Complete Lines 50 to 53 (Contribution to the WSDRF) of the RL-1 Summary
Enter your total payroll only if it exceeds $2 million. If you have more than one establishment or if you hold a training initiative quality certificate, click Special Cases — Contribution to the WSDRF.
Your total payroll corresponds to the total of box A from all the RL-1 slips you filed. Do not enter the total if one of the following situations applies to you:
- You paid a salary or wages to an employee who is an Indian.
- One of your Québec employees is temporarily posted outside Canada.
- You paid or allocated an amount under an employee benefit plan, a profit-sharing plan or an employee trust.
- You paid an amount to acquire, on behalf of an employee, a share or a fraction of a share issued by the Fonds de solidarité FTQ or by Fondaction.
- You paid fees to a member of a commission or a committee established under a Québec statute.
If one of the above situations applies to you, complete the work chart in Appendix 1 to the Guide to Filing the RL-1 Summary: Summary of Source Deductions and Employer Contributions (RLZ-1.S.G-V) to calculate your total payroll.
Complete the work chart at the bottom of page 2 of the RL-1 summary. Enter the amount from line 78 of the work chart on line 52 of the summary.
Balance of eligible training expenditures carried forward from previous years to the current year (line 75 of the work chart)
If applicable, enter the amount from line 79 of the work chart on the RL-1 summary you completed for the previous year.
If your total payroll on line 50 exceeds $2 million for the year and it did not for the previous year, you can enter the eligible training expenditures incurred in the previous year on line 75 of the work chart.
Over the last three years, your employees took part in training courses offered by a vocational training centre.
- For 2018, your training expenditures were $1,500 and your total payroll was $600,000.
- For 2019, your training expenditures were $3,000 and your total payroll was $900,000.
- For 2020, your training expenditures were $20,000 and your total payroll was $2,500,000.
For 2018 and 2019, you were not required to contribute to the WSDRF, since your total payroll was less than $2 million.
For 2020, your contribution to the WSDRF is $2,000 (see the table below). You can carry the training expenditure of $3,000 from 2019 forward to 2020, because your total payroll for 2020 is more than $2 million.
|Balance of eligible training expenditures carried forward from previous years to the current year||75||$3,000|
|Eligible training expenditures for the current year||76||+ $20,000|
|Amount used to reduce or cancel the contribution to the WSDRF||78||– $23,000|
|Eligible training expenditures that can be carried forward to subsequent years||79||= $0|
|Contribution to the WSDRF|
|Total payroll, if over $2,000,000||50||$2,500,000|
|Participation rate||x 1 %|
|Amount used to calculate the contribution to the WSDRF||51||= $25,000|
|Amount used to reduce or cancel the contribution to the WSDRF||52||– $23,000|
|Contribution to the WSDRF||53||= $2,000|
Eligible training expenditures for the current year (line 76 of the work chart)
Enter the result of the following calculation:
- the total of all eligible training expenditures incurred in the year (for training intended to improve the qualifications and skills of employees);
- any government assistance (subsidy, grant, forgivable loan, tax credit, investment allowance or other) that you received in respect of the expenditures.
Do not subtract government assistance received in respect of eligible training expenditures incurred in the year if you are a childcare centre (CPE), a day care centre, a home childcare coordinating office, a job integration company, an ambulance service, the Corporation d'urgences-santé, or a non-profit organization or cooperative that is a certified adapted business.
The following are eligible training expenditures:
- the salaries and wages paid to employees for the hours they spend on training activities (whether they are attending a training activity or leading it);
- the salaries and wages paid to trainees from a recognized educational institution during their training session;
- the salaries and wages paid to supervisors of interns and guides for teachers doing refresher training in the workplace, for the hours they devote exclusively to supervision and support activities;
- any expenses related to training activities (for example, travel expenses, cost of the training, payments you make to or expenditures you incur with a recognized training mutual).
For more information on calculating eligible training expenditures, see the Guide sur les dépenses de formation admissibles (available in French only) on the website of the Commission des partenaires du marché du travail, or contact us.
Amount used to reduce or cancel the contribution to the WSDRF (line 78 of the work chart)
Enter the lesser of:
- the amount on line 51 of the summary; and
- the amount on line 77 of the work chart.
Eligible training expenditures that can be carried forward to subsequent years (line 79 of the work chart)
Enter the result of the following calculation: the amount from line 77 minus the amount from line 78.
If you entered an amount on line 50, enter the result of the following calculation on line 53: the amount from line 51 minus the amount from line 52. If the result is $0, you do not have to contribute to the WSDRF for the year. Enter “0” on line 53.
If you did not enter an amount on line 50, you do not have to contribute to the WSDRF for the year. Enter “0” on line 53.
If your total payroll on line 50 exceeds $2 million, you must inform the Commission des partenaires du marché du travail of the means you used to carry out your eligible training activities. To do this, you must complete a Déclaration des activités de formation. For more information or to get a copy of the form, go to the Commission's website.