An amount you pay to a hairdresser who is your employee is subject to:
- source deductions of income tax;
- employee and employer Québec Pension Plan (QPP) contributions;
- employee and employer Québec parental insurance plan (QPIP) premiums;
- the employer contribution to the health services fund;
- the employer contribution related to labour standards.
You must include this amount in your total payroll used to calculate your health services fund contribution rate, your participation in workforce skills development and, if applicable, your contribution to the Workforce Skills Development and Recognition Fund (WSDRF).
If you pay an amount to a hairdresser who is self-employed, the amount is not subject to source deductions of income tax or employer contributions. As a rule, self-employed persons are responsible for paying certain contributions themselves, using the form Instalment Payments Made by Individuals (TPZ-1026.A-V).