Qualified Motor Vehicles
IFTA only applies to qualified motor vehicles (trucks, buses, etc.) that:
- are used solely or partly for commercial purposes; and
- are designed, used or maintained for transporting freight or passengers.
A qualified motor vehicle must have the following characteristics:
- two axles and a gross weight or registered gross weight of more than 11,797 kilograms (26,000 pounds);
- three or more axles (regardless of the weight of the vehicle); or
- be used in combination with another vehicle, resulting in a total gross weight or registered gross weight of more than 11,797 kilograms (26,000 pounds).
- A pickup truck towing a trailer can be considered a qualified motor vehicle.
- Vehicles used exclusively for recreational purposes are not considered to be qualified motor vehicles.