Registering for Consumption Taxes by Phone Is Easy! For All.
Are you thinking of starting up a business? If so, register for the GST and the QST by telephone, or ask someone else to do it for you! The person you ask does not need a power of attorney.
The new registration method saves you time and money, and is as simple as picking up the telephone. What's more, you can rest easy knowing that the new method is just as secure as the other methods and that you will still receive a confirmation of registration.
We would like to thank the individuals in business who participated in the pilot project for their contribution. Now, anyone who wishes to become a Revenu Québec agent can register for the GST and the QST over the telephone, or have someone else do it on his or her behalf.
Note that the other registration methods are still available. You can still register online, by mail or in person at one of our offices.
Registering by telephone
To use the registration service over the telephone:
- gather the information required for registration (see the list below)
- call one of the numbers given below
- choose option 4 in the main menu (note that the service is offered from Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., except for Wednesday, when it is available from 10:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.)
All of the following will be requested during registration:
- the social insurance number of the person who wishes to register
- the Québec enterprise number issued by the Registraire des entreprises (if applicable)
- the business number issued by the Canada Revenue Agency (if applicable)
- the business name (if applicable)
- the business's principal commercial activity and, if applicable, its secondary activities, in order of importance
- the date on which the business began to carry on its activities in Québec
- the total taxable sales, including zero-rated sales, that the business expects to make in Canada in the following 12 months
- the home address and telephone number of the person who wishes to register
- the address and telephone number of the location where the principal commercial activity of the business is carried on
- the mailing address
Given that you do not have to hold a power of attorney, you must, when registering a third party, provide your full name and date of birth, as well as the last three digits of your social insurance number (for identification purposes).
- In the Montréal area, call 514 873-4692.
- In the Québec City area, call 418 659-4692.
- Elsewhere, call 1 800 567-4692 (toll-free).