Zero-Rated Sales or Supplies
You must not collect tax on zero-rated supplies (This link will open a new window) or sales, since these supplies are taxable at the rate of 0% under the GST and the QST systems.
This means that you are not entitled to an input tax credit (ITC) or an input tax refund (ITR) with respect to a zero-rated good or service that you acquire in the course of your commercial activities, since neither the GST nor the QST are collected on the supply or sale of such a good or service.
Zero-rated supplies include the following:
- sales of prescription drugs
- sales of certain medical devices
- sales of basic groceries
- sales of certain property used in the farming and fishing sectors
- sales of certain goods or services exported outside Canada (or outside Québec, for QST purposes) (For more information, refer to Exports section.)
- the provision of certain passenger or freight transportation services
- sales of printed books that have an International Standard Book Number (ISBN), under the QST system only