Shelter Allowance Program

You may be eligible for the shelter allowance program if you spend too much of your budget on rent and you are in any of the following situations:

  • You are 51 or older and live alone.
  • You are a member of a couple and you or your spouse is 51 or older.
  • You are a member of a low-income household (composed of workers, students or income-security recipients, for example) with at least one dependent child.

The shelter allowance program applies to:

  • homeowners
  • tenants
  • rooming house occupants
  • any individual who shares a dwelling with one or more other occupants

The shelter allowance program takes into account the number of persons in your household, the type of household you live in, your income and your monthly rent.

You may receive a monthly allowance of up to $80, which is paid every month by cheque or direct deposit. As a rule, you will begin receiving the allowance one month after you file your application. We review the amount of the allowance once a year.

You are not eligible for the shelter allowance program if:

  • you live in a low rental housing unit (HLM) or a government-funded health and social services centre 
  • you receive a rent supplement or another housing subsidy 
  • you or your spouse, where applicable, have belongings or cash amounts that exceed $50,000 in value (excluding the value of your residence, land, furniture and car)

Lowering of the eligibility age

The age criterion only applies to individuals living alone and to couples without children. The eligibility age will be lowered one year at a time on October 1 of each year through 2015.

As shown in the table below, the eligibility age will be 50 as of October 1, 2015.


Eligibility age

October 1, 2014


October 1, 2015


If you think you qualify for the shelter allowance program, contact a Revenu Québec office to request a Shelter Allowance Application or Renewal Form (form LEX-165-V). Please note that this form is not available online.

For further information, consult the brochure Shelter Allowance Program (IN-165-V) or visit the Allocation-logement page of the website of the Société d'habitation du Québec.

Last Updated: