Support-Payment Collection Program
Support is an amount paid periodically, pursuant to a judgment generally handed down in Québec, to cover the essential needs of children or of the creditor of support (This link will open a new window). Such needs include:
Scope of the support-payment collection program
The support-payment collection program applies to all cases:
- judgments rendered on or after December 1, 1995, that award support for the first time
- judgments rendered before December 1, 1995, on request
Our role consists of:
- collecting support payments from the debtor of support (This link will open a new window)
- providing the support payments to the creditor
Only a court can:
- change the terms of a judgment
- modify the amount of support established in a judgment
If you are unable to make your support payments because your situation has changed, you must obtain a new judgment.
Since April 1, 2014, the Service administratif de rajustement des pensions alimentaires pour enfants (SARPA) has been assisting parents who want to have support payments for a child under 18 recalculated out of court. Please note that this administrative service cannot modify the terms of a judgment.
Contact SARPA for information about the eligibility requirements for this service.
Other sources of information
You can find information on support payments on the Ministère de la Justice website as well as on the Services Québec website (When a Couple Separates section).