123 – Retirement income transferred by your spouse

If your spouse on December 31, 2016 (This link will open a new window)was 65 or older at the end of the year (or on the day he or she ceased to be resident in Canada in 2016) and received eligible retirement income (see the instructions for line 122), you and your spouse can jointly decide to include up to 50% of the eligible retirement income your spouse received during the year in the calculation of your income. You must include the transferred amount on line 123 of your return, and your spouse can deduct the amount on line 245 of his or her return. To make the transfer, your spouse must complete Schedule Q and enclose it with his or her return.

If you agree to such a transfer, your spouse must also transfer to you the corresponding Québec income tax (including the health contribution) withheld from that income.

Your spouse was resident in Canada, outside Québec

If your spouse was resident in Canada, outside Québec, and was 65 or older at the end of the year, the amount deducted on line 210 of his or her federal return must be included on line 123 of your return.


The amount on line 123 may entitle you to an amount for retirement income. For more information, see the instructions for line 361.

Last Updated: