Accelerated Refunds

You can ask to receive your refund even before your return is processed. However, the amount of your refund may change further to the review of your return.

You can request an accelerated refund if you meet all of the following conditions:

  • You are claiming a refund of $3,000 or less (line 474).
  • You filed an income tax return for the 2015 taxation year.
  • There has been no change to your name or social insurance number since you filed your 2015 return.
  • You have no debt owing to us or to any other government body.
  • You have no debt owing under the Act to facilitate the payment of support.
  • You did not declare bankruptcy after 2015.
  • You did not file a proposal in bankruptcy (This link will open a new window) or a consumer proposal (This link will open a new window) after 2015.
  • You did not enter an amount on line 476 of your return.
  • You are filing your 2016 return before May 1, 2017, or before June 16, 2017, if you or your spouse is reporting business income.

Please note that we can refuse to grant an accelerated refund.

If you receive an accelerated refund and, after a review of your return, we issue a notice of assessment indicating a balance due, you may be required to pay interest on the balance.

Also, if you authorized us to transmit certain information concerning you to other government departments or agencies for the purposes of certain assistance programs (such as financial assistance for students or for childcare), the transmission of the information could take longer if you apply for an accelerated refund.

If, rather than having your notice of assessment sent to you by mail, you asked us to consult it online using our View Notices of Assessment and Confirmations of Accelerated Refunds online service, you can also use that same service to view confirmation of the amount of your accelerated refund.

Last Updated: