Eligibility for the Solidarity Tax Credit

You can claim the solidarity tax credit for the period from July 2017 to June 2018 if  you met all the following requirements on December 31, 2016:

  • You were 18 or older or, if you were younger than 18, you:
  • You were resident in Québec.
  • You or your spouse was: 
    • a Canadian citizen; 
    • a permanent resident or a protected person within the meaning of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act; or
    • a temporary resident or the holder of a temporary resident permit within the meaning of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act who had been living in Canada for the preceding 18 months.

Situations in which you are not eligible

However, you are not entitled to the solidarity tax credit if either of the following situations applies to you:

  • You were confined to a prison or similar institution on December 31, 2016, and, in 2016, you were confined for one or more periods totalling more than 183 days.
  • Someone received the child assistance payment from Retraite Québec with regard to you for December 2016 (unless you turned 18 during that month).
Family income

Even if you meet the eligibility requirements, you will not receive the credit if your family income is equal to or greater than the limit. For more information, click Calculation of the Credit.

For an estimation of the tax credit you may receive, use the Solidarity Tax Credit Payments Estimator.

Registering for direct deposit

As a rule, you must be registered for direct deposit in order to receive the solidarity tax credit.

You must inform us of any changes to your banking information. Note that you will lose your entitlement to the tax credit for the payment period from July 2017 to June 2018 if we are unable to deposit the tax credit by January 1, 2021.

Not registered?

If you are not registered for direct deposit, you can do so by:

  • using the Register for Direct Deposit online service (you must be registered for My Account to use this service);
  • enclosing with your return a voided cheque bearing your name and social insurance number (the cheque must be from an account at a financial institution that has an establishment in Canada); or
  • completing a Request for Direct Deposit (form LM-3.Q-V or LM-3.M-V) and enclosing it with your return (if you live closer to Québec City, file form LM-3.Q-V; if you live closer to Montréal, file form LM-3.M-V).

We will send you a notice showing the amount you are entitled to for the period from July 2017 to June 2018 and the information we took into consideration to calculate it.

Contact us if you do not have a bank account.

Last Updated: