Requirements for Advance Payments of the Work Premium

To be entitled to receive advance payments of the work premium for the 2017 taxation year, you must meet the following requirements:

  • You must be in the labour market at the time you apply (that is, you must have income from employment, a research grant or a business you operate).
  • You must not be a full-time student (an individual who is a full-time student is not eligible for the work premium unless, at the end of the year, he or she is the father or mother of a child who lives with him or her).
  • You must be resident in Québec at the time you apply and be a Canadian citizen, an Indian, a permanent resident or a person on whom Canada has conferred refugee protection.
  • You must not be incarcerated.
  • You must be 18 years of age or older on the first day of the month in which you filed your application or, if you are under 18 years of age, no one must be entitled to receive the child assistance payment with regard to you for the current year.
  • You must estimate that you will be entitled to a work premium for the year covered by your application of more than $500 (if you designated a child as your dependant), or more than $300 (if you did not designate a child as your dependant).
  • You must agree to receive the payments by direct deposit.

If you and your spouse both believe you are entitled to claim the work premium for the year, only one of you may apply for advance payments for both of you.


Note that we may reject your application for advance payments, cease to make advance payments or suspend such payments if you have not filed your income tax return for a previous year for which you or your spouse received advance payments, or if information or documents brought to our attention justify such actions.

Last Updated: